TIE-40306 Gamification: A Walkthrough of How Games Are Shaping Our Lives, 5 cr
Implementation TIE-40306 2019-01
The course gives a broad overview of how games and game-related technologies shape our lives. The course enables the student to understand and analyze the pervasiveness of games and game-related technologies in different domains of culture and society, how they affect and shape our behaviors and interactions with the world.
After completing the course, the students have an overview of e.g. the following topics:
- Relevant terminology and background of gamification
- Theoretical background, e.g. psychological and behavior change related aspects of gamification
- Design aspects related to gamification
- Achievement-based gamification
- Immersion-based gamification using e.g. AR and VR technologies
- Social gamification
- Virtual and game economies
- Professionalization of play and games as work (esports, streaming and social media)
|Period||3 - 4|
|Methods of instruction|
|Person responsible||Mila Bujic, Juho Hamari, Jonna Koivisto, Mattia Thibault|
Numerical evaluation scale (0-5)
Attending course lectures is optional, but attendance is worth 3 points.
- Weekly lecture diaries
- Weekly peer reviewing of lecture diaries
- Final group essay
- Presentation and peer review on one of the seminar days
From 20.1.2020 until 21.2.2020.
Mondays and Fridays, 10:00 - 12:00.
Mondays in Pinni B4113, Fridays in B1096.
9.3.2020; 12.3.2020; 13.3.2020.
Time: 10:00 - 17:00