Open positions: Salaried DOCTORAL student, Deadline 9.9!
Gamification Group is seeking doctoral students from diverse backgrounds as part of the general call for doctoral students of the Faculty of Computing and Electrical Engineering at Tampere University of Technology (14 positions in total).
Gamification Group under Professor Juho Hamari is the largest Game research group in Finland and operates in three different universities in Finland: Faculty of Computing and Electrical Engineering at Tampere University of Technology, Faculty of Humanities at University of Turku, and Faculty of Communication Sciences at University of Tampere. The group operates mainly in Tampere (TUT and UTA campuses) and Pori (UC Pori campus) in Finland. Moreover, GG is part of the Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies.
Gamification Group offers ample resources to carry out research across campuses. Moreover, the candidate will be working in collaboration with the larger game research community of Finland as part of the Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies (https://coe-gamecult.org/).
Gamification Group’s research has a wide focus on games. GG is looking for candidates e.g. on the following topic areas:
- Users: e.g. engagement, player motivations, player experience
- Education: e.g. serious games, game-based learning,
- Media: e.g. eSports, streaming
- Commerce: e.g. business models, free-to-play, gambling, gamification as marketing
- Work: e.g. organizational gamification, gameful work, gamification in leadership
- Technology: e.g. VR, AR
- Toys & play: e.g. toy play, toy design/creation, toys in education, Internet of Toys
- Health: e.g. quantified self, games for health
- Culture: e.g. the gamification of everyday life
The following qualities are appreciated:
- Background in some of the following areas or on a closely related one: Computer science (especially HCI), psychology, information systems science, management / organization studies, communication/media studies, marketing, health –related sciences
- Prior knowledge of research of above-mentioned topics
- Experience and/or knowledge in quantitative research methods (including e.g. setting up experiments, survey research, quantitative data analysis)
- Experience in game design / HCI design / web design.
In order to apply as a Doctoral Candidate in Gamification Group, please send an expression of interest to Professor Juho Hamari (email@example.com) with an initial research plan.
Applications must be submitted by 09 September (at 23:59 EET) through the electronic application system of Tampere University of Technology (Apply for the job). Applicants should enclose with their application a CV, list of publications and other documents that may influence the filling of the position.
Applications must include the following attachments written in English and preferably in PDF format:
- Letter of motivation, including description of research interests (max. 2 pages)
- Full curriculum vitae listing all relevant experiences (Please see CV template)
- Copy of your MSc degree certificate
- Copy of your BSc degree certificate
Please note: Degree certificates should include transcripts of all university records and their English translations (Finnish certificates are accepted without translations) and Diploma Supplement
- Certificate of language proficiency (if your native language is other than Finnish or
For more information, please contact: Juho Hamari (firstname.lastname@example.org), +358 50 318 6861