Urbanisation continues globally and in Finland. The importance of urban transport increases as more and more people live in urban areas, and other activities also centre around cities. Research is needed for smart and safe mobility in urban areas. Gains to be achieved are e.g. reducing accidents, people feeling better, mitigating climate change and flourishing business and city economy.
The research topics focus on urban transport systems, mobility and land use.
Examples of research projects in this research area:
- Urban zones as a planning method
- Best European practices in promoting cycling and walking
- Exploiting the potential of cycling and walking
- Tools for promoting public transport
- Monitoring walking and cycling
- Modelling the public transport network in Tallinn (Estonia)
- Deferred payment of public transport fares
Interested? Please contact: Heikki Liimatainen