Eight honorary doctorates to be conferred at
TUT´s conferment ceremony
Eight honorary doctorates will be conferred at the University's eighth conferment ceremony on 17 - 19 May 2012.
TUT has a tradition of conferring honorary doctorates upon individuals both from Finland and abroad who have demonstrated outstanding achievements in the fields represented at the University and with whom the University enjoys close collaboration or in recognition of other extraordinary contributions to science, art or society.
- Professor Gerhard Fettweis, Technical University Dresden, Mobile Communications Systems, Germany
- Professor Amos Gilat, Ohio State University, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, USA
- Professor Yongxiang Lu, President of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- Professor Karl Öiger, Tallinn University of Technology, Timber and Plastic Structures, Estonia
- Vuorineuvos (Finnish honorary title) Ole Johansson, Chairman of the Confederation of Finnish Technology Industries EK
- Mayor Timo P. Nieminen, City of Tampere
- Teollisuusneuvos (Finnish honorary title) Paula Nybergh, Ministry of Employment and the Economy
- Professor Riitta Suuronen, University of Tampere, Tissue Engineering
The conferment ceremony provides an opportunity to celebrate academic achievement, strengthen a sense of professional, scientific and artistic unity and build professional networks. In the conferment ceremony, the conferees receive doctoral hats as a symbol of scientific freedom and a certificate for the title that they have achieved.
Further information: Conferment ceremony 2012