Laser Application Laboratory (LAL)
Laser Application Laboratory (LAL) is a co-operation unit of the Departments of Material Science and Production Engineering.
LAL has been founded to:
- develop advanced education and research environment
- conduct research and technology transfer
- form modern test and demonstration place for industrial applications
- Advantages of laser coatings:
- metallurgically bonded and fully dense coatings
- very high bond strength
- coating properties comparable to same bulk material
- low dilution
Laser surface hardening
The biggest advantages of laser hardening are limited energy distribution and small distortions. Heat effect can be easily adjusted, which makes possible precise hardning patterns in depth and areas. Hardening of large 3-D areas (even 2 m2/h) is also possible.
Welding and other laser processes
Other laser processes like welding and cutting can also be tested at LAL or in one of our co-operation institutes.