Who should apply?
The two-year Master's Programme in Information Technology offers students who demonstrate excellent academic performance, a good command of the English language and creative abilities the opportunity to obtain a competitive master’s degree that meets the highest international standards. Admission is highly competitive, and only a limited number of the most qualified candidates may be admitted. Each application is evaluated by the Admission Committee against strict requirements and based on the candidate's potential, as demonstrated in the application documents and portfolio. Please note that sending us all the necessary documents and meeting our prerequisites will not guarantee you admission to the programme.
It is not possible to be placed on a waiting list. Accepted students who give up their place in the programme will not be replaced by other candidates.
The overall minimum requirements for admission are educational qualifications and language skills. If you meet the minimum requirements, you are eligible to apply. Late applications will not be considered.
Please also read our policy for country-specific document requirements.
14 December 2016 - 25 January 2017
Applicants are expected to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must hold a BEng/BSc degree that is equivalent to a bachelor's degree according to the Finnish system of higher education and has taken at least three years/180 credits of full-time study to complete.
- The degree must be conferred by an internationally recognized university that is listed in the latest edition of the International Handbook of Universities.
- The field of the BSc degree should be computing, information technology, electrical engineering, computer science or another discipline related to the programme. Competence in mathematics, physics and computer science is required.
The overall grade (CGPA) of the degree should be at least 70 % of the maximum marks.
The ideal prior qualifications are described on the Focus areas page.
For more information, please see the Eligibility page.
Applicants from Finnish Universities
The minimum requirement of weighted GPA is 2,7/5 or 1,6/3.
Applicants from Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences
The minimum requirement for applicants from Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences is to have a degree in the field of engineering or technology.
The minimum requirement of weighted GPA is 3,0/5 / or 1,8/3
In order to be eligible for admission to the Master's degree programmes in English at TUT, applicants who have graduated from Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences are required to complete complementary studies. More information on complementary studies.
The official language of the programme is English, and therefore a good command of the English language is an absolute prerequisite. Candidates must demonstrate their language proficiency by completing one of the following language tests:
- TOEFL (min. score 79 where writing min. score 20 in the web-based iBT; min. score 550 in the paper-based test PBT). Please note that we do not accept the institutional TOEFL test ITP for this application.
- IELTS (score 6.0 or higher, writing min. 5.5)
- Cambridge Language Certificate (Proficiency CPE or Advanced CAE) (grade "C" or higher)
- PTE Academic (min. score 53)
Please note that we cannot accept any other language certificates or free-form statements.
For more information, please see the Language requirements page.
Application and admission information
- Please read our revised policy for country-specific document requirements
- All application documents will be evaluated as a whole, meaning that every document will affect the result.
- Please note that incomplete or late applications and applications containing documents that are not properly authenticated will not be accepted. Any missing documents will have a negative impact on your score.
- As we receive hundreds of applications each year, we are unfortunately not able to answer any questions concerning the status of individual applications during the application process.
- Applicants may be offered admission to only one of the programmes they apply for. The order of preference may not be changed after the application deadline.
For more information on applying, please see the How to apply? section.