Language requirements for Bachelor's studies
In the degree programmes conducted in English at Tampere University of Technology (TUT), a good command of English is an absolute prerequisite. When applying to the Bachelor’s degree programme in Science and Engineering, you must demonstrate your proficiency in English with an internationally recognised academic language test report or in one of the other accepted ways.
TUT accepts internationally recognised academic language tests as demonstration of language proficiency. The accepted tests are IELTS Academic, TOEFL iBT, TOEFL PBT, PTE Academic and CAE/CPE.
Tampere University of Technology verifies all IELTS test results from the test organiser. Upload a copy of the IELTS score slip on your application. It is very important that you indicate your IELTS test report number on the application form.
When registering for the TOEFL test, enter the code of Tampere University of Technology 0599 into the Score Report Recipient field. TUT verifies all TOEFL test results online from the test organiser. Indicate your test score and test date on the application form.
If you have already taken the TOEFL test, you will need to request the test organiser to make the test score available to TUT online.
Your online PTE Academic account allows you to send a secure copy of your test scores to Tampere University of Technology online. TUT will then be able to access and verify your test result online. Indicate your test score and test date on the application form.
Cambridge Language Certificate (Proficiency CPE or Advanced CAE)
Upload your test results on your application. Your results will be verified from the test organiser. Include your Candidate's ID and secret code.
The minimum language test result requirements
The minimum language test result requirements for the Bachelor’s degree programme in Science and Engineering are:
|TOEFL IBT||TOEFL PBT||IELTS Academic||PTE Academic||CPE / CAE|
Writing score min 20
Writing band score min 5.5
Level C1 (CPE)
Exemptions to the language test requirements
You may be exempted from the requirement to submit a certificate of language proficiency if you are able to demonstrate your proficiency in the English language in one of the following ways.
1) You have the following minimum grades obtained in the Finnish matriculation examination, European Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate or Reifeprüfung:
- Finnish matriculation examination: English at the advanced level with a minimum grade of M.
- A completed International Baccalaureate, if the examination has been completed in English. If the examination has been completed in a language other than English, the following grades are acceptable:
- English as the A1 language with an approved grade (a minimum grade of 2) or
- English as the A2 language with a minimum grade of 5 or
- English as A language (literature/language and literature/language and performance) with an approved grade (a minimum grade of 2) or
- English as B language with a minimum grade of 5.
- European Baccalaureate:
- English as the LI language with an approved grade (a minimum grade of 4) or
- English as the LII language with a minimum grade of 7.
- English as a written test with an approved grade (a minimum grade of 4) or
- English as an oral test with a minimum grade of 8.
2) You have completed your secondary education in English in the UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
3) You have completed a degree taught in English at an institution of higher education located in the UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or in an EU/EEA member state. You must have physically resided in the country while studying.
4) You have studied as an exchange or degree student at Tampere University of Technology or some other Finnish university and completed at least 15 credits in English with a weighted GPA of at least 3/5. The credits must be completed by the application deadline. Please note that if you have spent your exchange study period at a Finnish university of applied sciences, you must demonstrate your proficiency in English with a language test.