Tampere3 working groups appointed by MINEDU start their workMinister of Education and Culture Sanni Grahn-Laasonen has appointed a working group, a steering group and an executive group to prepare the establishment of the Tampere3 higher education group.
The plan is to form a joint strategically managed unit consisting of Tampere University of Technology (TUT), the University of Tampere and Tampere University of Applied Sciences. A letter of intent on the merger is currently being prepared, and it will be presented to the Boards of the higher education institutions for decision-making later this spring.
TUT President Markku Kivikoski describes the Minister’s decision as an important milestone in the preparation of Tampere3.
”We are now able to proceed swiftly on all levels towards a new foundation university, which will be globally competitive and have a genuinely unique operating model.”
The working group consists of representatives of the Ministry of Education and Culture and it is chaired by Director Hannu Sirén. The other members are Counsellor of Education Erja Heikkinen, Counsellor of Education Jorma Karhu, Counsellor of Government Immo Aakkula, Counsellor of Education Maarit Palonen, Counsellor of Education Eija Somervuori, Counsellor of Education Maija Innola and Senior Advisor Laura Hansén.
The working group is tasked with preparing the government proposals on the necessary amendments to existing legislation and mapping out the preconditions for establishing the new foundation university. The government proposals will be prepared so that they can be presented to the Parliament in February 2017.
The steering group is chaired by Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen. The members are:
- Director General Tapio Kosunen, Director Hannu Sirén, Counsellor of Education Erja Heikkinen, Counsellor of Education Jorma Karhu and Counsellor of Education Immo Aakkula from the Ministry of Education and Culture
- Rector Liisa Laakso, University of Tampere
- Vice-President Mika Hannula, Tampere University of Technology
- President Markku Lahtinen, Tampere University of Applied Sciences
- Professor Frans Mäyrä, University of Tampere
- Financial Coordinator Pirkko Mustola, Tampere University of Technology
- Lecturer Lauri Hietalahti, Tampere University of Applied Sciences
- Student Veera Kaleva, University of Tampere
- Student Anna Kuusala, Tampere University of Technology
- Student Verna Rantala, Tampere University of Applied Sciences
- Chair of the University Collegiate Body Jyrki Nummenmaa from the University of Tampere.
The secretaries of the steering group are Manager Päivi Myllykangas from the Tampere3 higher education organisation and Counsellors of Education Maija Innola and Maarit Palonen from the Ministry of Education and Culture. The steering group supports the work of the working group and its first meeting will be held on 2 March 2016.
The executive group is chaired by State Secretary Olli-Pekka Heinonen from the Ministry of Finance. The other members are:
- Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen and Director General Tapio Kosunen from the Ministry of Education and Culture
- Mayor Anna-Kaisa Ikonen, City of Tampere
- Deputy Director Mervi Karikorpi, The Federation of Finnish Technology Industries
- Chair of the Board Kai Öistämö, University of Tampere
- Member of the Board Kati Korhonen-Yrjänheikki, Tampere University of Technology
- Chair of the Board Matti Höyssä, Tampere University of Applied Sciences.