Mikko Malaska appointed as Professor of Structural EngineeringMikko Malaska took up a professorship in the Department of Civil Engineering at TUT on 1 August 2015. The field of his professorship is Structural Engineering.
Mikko Malaska’s research interests lie in structures, their engineering methods and related norms. He is especially interested in structural engineering processes that make efficient use of ICT applications, data models, and numerical analysis and measurement tools.
Another major research area for Malaska is structural fire engineering, for which TUT offers state-of-the-art facilities.
Strong international experience
Mikko Malaska strengthens TUT’s expertise in structural engineering through the international experience he has gained while working in the UK, the Netherlands and Switzerland.
Malaska is also interested in the development of education and is committed to ensuring the continued high quality of structural engineering education in Finland.
Mikko Tapio Malaska, born in Espoo, Finland, in 1967
Most important positions and appointments
- Professor, Tampere University of Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, 8/2015–
- Professor of Structural Engineering, University of Oulu, 2009–2015
- Dean of Education, Faculty of Technology, University of Oulu, 2014
- Diverse structural engineering positions in the UK, 2001–2009, launched his own structural engineering company in 2007
- Researcher at the Academy of Finland, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, 2000–2001
- Researcher, Laboratory of Steel Structures, Helsinki University of Technology, 1996–2000
- Researcher, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne EPFL, Switzerland, 1996
- In addition, Malaska has occupied various positions related to education and the development of education in universities and universities of applied sciences over a 10-year period.
Most important degrees and qualifications
- Doctor of Science in Technology, Helsinki University of Technology, 2001
- Master of Science in Technology, Helsinki University of Technology, 1996
- Chartered Structural Engineer (CEng), Registered by the Engineering Council UK, 2004.
- Family: wife and two children aged 4 and 6.
- Hobbies: forest, nature, and reservist activities.
TUT recognized for industry expertise
Mikko Malaska knew of TUT’s strong reputation among construction industry stakeholders already while working as a Professor of Structural Engineering at the University of Oulu.
“Tampere University of Technology is a major contributor to the development of Finland’s industry and business. I’ve heard several industry stakeholders commenting that TUT enjoys an excellent reputation across the construction industry.
This expertise and the high-quality research laboratories of the Department of Civil Engineering provide a solid foundation for continued success despite economically challenging times in Finland.